open menu

Save this for later with your free account

Log in / Sign up

WaterSure Scheme – Citizens Advice

WaterSure Scheme - Citizens Advice

WaterSure is a scheme which helps some people with their water bills. To apply for the scheme, you must be on benefits and need to use a lot of water either for medical reasons or because your household has a certain number of school-age children. You also need to be on a water meter or be waiting to have one installed.


To qualify for WaterSure you need to:

  • be on a water meter or have applied for one and be waiting for it to be installed, or be paying an assessed charge because it's not possible to fit a meter at your property  

  • be on certain benefits

  • have a high essential use of water


If you get help through the WaterSure scheme, your water bill will be capped. This means you will not pay any more than the average metered bill for the area your water company deals with.

All suppliers offer WaterSure if either you or someone in your household get one of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income Support
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit awarded at a rate higher than the family element

Some water suppliers also offer WaterSure if you're on Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments. You should check with your water company if you're not sure if they cover these benefits.


Who is this aimed at?

Open to all who use a lot of water due to medical reasons or who have three children or more under 19 and in full-time education living in your household.



Adviceline - Monday to Friday



Adviceline - 9:30am to 5pm



Online and phone



This support is free


How to get involved

Please phone for further details


Contact details

Phone: 0808 278 7848


For further information

For more information about Citizens Advice Wirral search Citizens Advice Wirral in this directory.


Visit the Citizens Advice Wirral website

Visit the WaterSure Page on the Citizens Advice website

Quick contact

Find us here...